Fire-related incidents to increase in the winter season

A Dan Tloome learner participated in the fire and burn campaign. Photo: Selogile Leshage

Since May last year, there have been 817 fire-related incidents within the J.B. Marks local municipality.

This is according to the head of the disaster management centre, Thabo Khupari.
He says there have been 73 shack fires, 65 house fires, 518 grass or veld fires, 37 vehicle fires, 18 electrical pole fires and other incidents in the past twelve months.
Fire-related incidents are bound to increase in the winter season.

For this reason, the municipality always launches fire and burns campaigns at this time of the year.
Jeanette Tshite, the senior media relations officer at J.B. Marks says burns and fire-related incidents have proved to be disastrous for human life, family units and the environment in the past.
‘Statistics show that a well-informed community assists greatly in reducing incidents of fire and burns,’ she said.
Tshite described last week’s schools and clinics campaign as a ‘call to action’. The dangers of fire and burns are so immense that they do not only cause long-term human suffering and economic challenges, but also the loss of human life,’ she explained.

 

Dan Tloome Primary School learners.
Photo: Selogile Leshage

One of the schools that participated was Dan Tloome Primary. Tshepo Mabati, in Gr. 6, learnt not to play with matches or go near the stove when there is boiling water in the pots.

The warning not to play with a lit candle on the bed stuck in Thabiso Zandamela’s mind. ‘We should also not put wet clothes on the heater to dry or leave a candle burning when we go to sleep,’ he said.
Thirteen-year-old Thabang Mokoena remembered when his brother almost burnt the shack down after leaving the bath water bubbling on a brazier outside. ‘The shack caught fire but, luckily, we were able to douse the flames,’ he said.
Matron Makoko Phamodi of Tshepong Hospital’s burns unit issued the same information last year. At the time, a burns patient, Ms Stock, supported the matron’s plea with her awful, first-hand experience. She advised the community to be careful when working with open fire and parents to keep electrical appliances out of the reach of children. She also reminded them not to leave kettles or pots of boiling water near the edge of the table or on tablecloths that children can pull at.’

  AUTHOR
Selogile Leshage
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Carletonville HeraldParys GazetteSedibeng SterVaal Weekblad
Top