KZN: Cornubia Mall confirm bomb scare was a hoax

Management of Cornubia Mall, north of Durban, have confirmed the bomb scare, which forced a mall evacuation was a hoax, Northglen News reports.

In a statement, management said the all clear had been given following a sweep by the police’s  explosives unit and K9 Unit.

“Cornubia Mall Management can confirm that we have been given the all clear. There was no bomb found at the mall and it appears to have been a hoax. The evacuation procedure is now over. We would like to thank teh police for their fast, professional service.”

On Monday, a similar sequence of events unfolded at the Durban’s Pavilion mall, after a suspicious-looking item was found in a parking lot.

It later turned out to be a false alarm and the Bomb Squad confirmed the suspicious device was in fact a security tag.

Despite the hoax, Hawks spokesperson, Hangwani Mulaudzi, said the incendiary devices found around Durban was receiving serious attention.

“This matter is receiving serious attention and we are working around the clock to find the people responsible for this,” Mulaudzi said.

He confirmed the Hawks and crime intelligence officials were investigating the incidents in which incendiary devices were found in public spaces since Thursday last week.

Last week two incendiary devices were found at the Woolworths at Gateway Theatre of Shopping, which led to an evacuation of the store on both occasions.

Read original story on

International News

Carletonville HeraldParys GazetteSedibeng SterVaal Weekblad
Top